Thursday, August 18, 2005

They do love their bread.

Yesterday, a couple of girls and I were sitting on a bench eating bread and peaches. We noticed that the ants only went for the bread crumbs on the ground, never the pieces of peach that would drip from our mouthes. And that is when we concluded that those were, indeed, French ants. They love their bread. I have had some form of bread as my main entre for the past five meals. I've had a baguette for three of those meals. I am now on the intensive carbohydrate diet. Yeah, baby. But let me tell you. This bread is to die for.

We, also, passed by a farmer's market today. I bought raspberries for lunch from this very cute old woman. They must have been the juiciest, freshest raspberries I've ever tasted. Needless to say, I'm loving the food--and I haven't even had the fancy stuff yet.

After I broke off from the group, I wandered around the city on foot (of course). I bought a salad. Little victories. I asked for it with ease but then the merchant started giving me choices of what else I wanted on it. "Oui...oui...oui," I said again and again, not completely sure of what he was saying. It was later when I realized he was asking if I wanted this or that. And I just kept saying yes. Sigh...my cover was blown once again. It's always nice when I can successfully fool a French person into thinking I'm French.

And now I'm in a computer lab that is open for CSU students. There are two of them in town. So, right now, I have easy access to the internet. I don't know if this is the best condition for talking on my handy dandy headset because there are others around but I will eventually find a place to do so. These first two weeks are teaching me a lot on patience. I think we, as Americans, want to figure everything out right away whereas the French system of life is more laid back. You can't get ahead of the game. I have to take everything in stride.

6 Comments:

Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

WOW! oh eleanor, it seems like a dream! ya... patience... im getting a dose of that myself. Thre was a big drama with the commission i got and Kent decided to be drastic and pulled it from allie and i... i really wanted to give him a peice of my mind all day, but i waited for nathan to talk to kent and everything worked out! :D It was also oh so humbling, I am in fact not always in control :P

I love you! youre making me hungry tu piu! and WHEN do we get to see some pictures??? i expect top knotch (like the one that we stared at for hours in someone's home... the one with the woman walking with the cool sandals and all the men looking at her... sigh... when can i come visit you??? ill look up air fair ;)

10:13 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

My love Dove!
Oh it is good to hear you are safe!
How I miss you! I am so glad I got to see you at the airport!
Guess what i happened to have for breakfast!? French Rolls! (I'm sure they're fake, but yea anyway!)
I am glad to hear that you are learning patience. i guess the Lord is teaching all three of us this! (yeah God!)
My mom has been bothering me on some things. She tends to dwell on situations and what not. But maybe in my heart i am too hard on her. :( i have been Asking God to give me the streangh to be patient.
Anyway, Eleanor! i miss you so! there was a building in VA Beach that had a painting of the sand on it. and in the sand it said " I 'heart' Elinor" Yes they spelled it wrong :( (I think they had a little trouble with the spelling because you can see that it was previously written "Elanor").
Hey! as soon as you find a place to live give us all the address, cus you know we want to send you stuff!
I miss you friend! i love you and your radient hair!
Love Always,
Jessica

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you ever so much. Have you seen any lavender yet my dear.
~little B~

9:56 PM  
Blogger Idhrendur said...

Sounds like good times. That whole patience thing will be something for us to learn from you once you've learned it from them. yay!

And yes, the bread is sooo good. Even in that stupid crap hotel I stayed in...the bream was absolutely wonderful.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

it was thisbe and pyramus! "what? asleep my love? WHAT? Dead my dove??" hm... not quite comforting... oh well HEH :D

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jason Rasmussen said...

Ah, but have you tried the wine? Skype me! > heydigital

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home