Friday, December 09, 2005

I am a Renaissance woman.

A cigarette posed between two fingers, a black felt hat atop his "tête," he strides through the streets of an ancient city and uncovers the traces of art that's been kept. The students, they follow, frantically scribbling. They flap their fingers to get the blood moving. We enter a church. He carries a key and opens our eyes to a portal unseen.

Notes:
--Les portes de la Cathédral de Saint Sauveur
--Renaissance
--l'intégration du réalisme et du dessin
--un escargot!!!!!!!!!!!

Our professor points to a snail engraved in the wood of the cathedral's door. I am devoured by a fit of giggling. Many art historians believe it to be a representation of Andrewphius, Prince of Snails, as he consumed his last fatal leaf. There are some, however, that claim it to be Whimpy, the snail of little fortune but a noble heart and warrior stance. Thank you for the Renaissance!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eleonore,

Pendant tes etudes en France, avais-tu mange des escargots? La chenille en a mange deux hier soir!

Qu'est-ce que tu comptes faire pour le Noel?

Alice

10:20 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

ohh Andrewphius! I knew that story was true! and here, Eleanor, you have found evidence! congratulations! you must take this to the historical society at once! For there are many in this world who have not heard this bit of history! I am so proud of you, my dear!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

only giggles? I would have been rolling on the cold floor... oh dear. are you sure it wasnt Shellinda Madam of Mulluscs? I hear she is quite famous in that region. She was very devout you see. She spent most of her time in Chapel garden, snacking on holey leaves.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whimpy! Oh, dear Whimpy, how you help me in times of need! I only wish I could have caught a glimpse of such an engraving, myself.

I feel as though I must pay homage and make a pilgrimage to the said Cathedral. Yes, Whimpy would like that...

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home