Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Africa said, "Come home..."

I've been wondering lately how I got started with French. Yes, it's a part of New Orleans culture. Yes, it's beautiful. However, I've been taking it for so long that I forgot my reason for sticking with it in the first place.

The Bus
I was taking my usual bus ride into town. I sat in a seat by the window, leaving the spot open next to me. An African man got onto the bus. He plopped his 3 year old son down next to me. "Ah," he said to his son, "tu as de la chance. Regarde la mademoiselle. Elle est élégante. Oui, elle est élégante." His son looked up at me. I smiled at him and nodded. The boy looked back at his father. "Elle est élégante," the African man repeated. He continued to talk to his son for the rest of the way. Then, as I hopped off the bus, I gave them a farewell "Au revoir."

The Walk Home
There was a new girl in church on Sunday from the Ivory Coast. I got to walk with her part of the way home. We talked a little about Africa, a bit about her studies in France, some about my stay here. We parted with an animated "kiss, kiss." She grabbed me by the arm, looked me in eye, and said in her wonderful African accent, "I hope we see each other again soon."



Back to 8th grade, 13 years old. A Nigerian brings his wife to New Orleans. He takes courses in public health at the local university. They have a baby. You cannot separate me from that baby.

They move back to West Africa.

Summer 2000, The Crawfords go to Africa. We visit the family in their home and a missionary from our church. I have a year of high school French under my belt but am at a loss for words.

Now to 12th grade, 17 years old. The African family comes to our house for a "short" visit. They plan on staying a month, end up staying three. There are three babies, now (one born while living with us). I dance around the living room with the 4 and 2 year old. I read to them. I let them hold me for ransom in their castle. I am a horse.

It's time to go back to Africa.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No fair reading this piece first thing in the morning on my last working day in Arlington; it brought me to tears. Love, P

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eleanor!!! I'll go with you!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

i was so excited to know just what he was saying :D well... i THINK i know :) in any case Eleanor is Elegant!! i have something to tell you... i might... be going to southafrica with southlands for a summer missions trip. I dont know if i can go cause its three weeks and a but load of money (dad will be a BIG wall to overcome) so pray for me, whether i should be doing it or not... and if i am, to provide for me 110% I love you eleanor!!! perhaps i should wait one more summer... when a certian someone... achem... can join me? ;)

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are lovely in so many ways. This entry left me creased, and perhaps even a little broken. (Listen to the song "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" by Sufjan Stevens and it will make more sense....or just look at the lyrics, since I'm sure you don't own the album Seven Swans. The song is based off of Flannery O'Connor's short story, and is from the point of view of The Misfit. It's amazing).
And, yes, I really do love reading J.D. Salinger. In fact, "Perfect Day For Bananafish" is the only short story of his I've read (I didn't finish reading the rest of Nine Stories though I would have liked to). I read Catcher in the Rye and Franny and Zooey, but I am determined to read more.
I'm certainly glad that you enjoy those two authors as well. It's incredible how they can move words like that. I only wish I could be able to do the same someday.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eleonore,

Ici Alice! Le mois prochain, j'irai chez toi (Louisiane) pour nettoyer quelques maisons qui ont ete detruites par Katrina. Je compte aussi voyager en Italie cet ete pour apprendre l'italien, mais mon eglise compte envoyer des groupes en Inde (Calcutta) et en Afrique (Rwanda). Je ne peux pas decider ce que je veux faire; alors, prie que le Seigneur me montre le plan ideal.

J'ai enfin echappe de la Reine des Coeurs et me suis reveillee de mon horrible cauchemar! Maintenant j'ai une semaine de conge pour le Thanksgiving et je suis bien excitee et a la fois en repos. Mais pendant mon temps libre, je dois memoriser mes lecons comme ma Grande-Soeur m'avait ordonne!

C'est l'heure de prendre du the!
A bientot!
Alice

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God speaks and we are to listen. Perhaps he is speaking in French to you? Reading a book by missionary in Benin. They studied French in France 1 year, but in Benin - totally different French and other dialects spoken.

Miss your help in cooking this Thanksgiving

You are precious to us
Auntie Jo & Uncle Chuck

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home