Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Toussaint

They don't care much about Halloween. I saw one girl with a little face paint. What?! No Halloween? How could they? Ah, but don't stop there...

I awoke the next morning and rolled over to face my window. Big pink clouds. Big blue sky. Sigh. What do I do on All Saint's Day? There's the park or I could go to the market. Yes, but what do the French do on such a day as this? They go to the cemetery to put flowers on the graves of their ancestors. But I'm not related to anyone who died here (that I know of).

I have fallen in love with a certain man. His name is Paul Cezanne. He died in 1906.

I left the apartment that morning with a book, a journal, and a map in hand. I found the cemetery on the eastern side of town. Okay, Paul Cezanne. There should be some sort of sign, right--a big yellow arrow that shouts, "Paul Cezanne! Buried here!" There was no arrow. I wandered from tomb to tomb for half an hour.

Eleanor, I guess this means you'll have to ask. There's a man standing right over there. Here goes.

"Est-ce que vous savez où Cezanne est enterré?"
"Mais, oui! Bien sûr! C'est La Toussaint."

Yes! I love it when I can get a phrase out like that. He kindly showed me a map of the cemetery and how to find the grave of my long lost lover. I approached Cezanne, anticipation raging. I almost passed him up.

And there he was. I should say, "Voilà!" Right there among the other tombstones, the pine trees, the chrysanthemums, and the iron rod crosses. Someone had placed a pinecone on his grave. Others had arranged little pots of pansies. And me? What could I offer but the imaginary, polka-dotted violet I held in my hand?

Merci, Monsieur Cezanne. Tu m'inspires.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to comment. So you love dear old Paul. Let me remind you that you do have French cousins although they probably don't live anywhere near Aix.

Miss my favorite daughter; how are you? What's happin? The Christmas Prague trip sounds cool; your cousin Rachel and husband Brian had a fabulous time there recently; I will ask her to email you with suggestions. Luv, P

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a large flat bowl from IKEA (it just opened in "Frisco" north of Dallas) and candy from Walgreens in preparation for the big night. Aunt Sue's boyfriend Sture asked me if there were any children in my apartment complex and how neighborhood children would get into a gated community?
Uh Duh! What a moron! Got rid of the chocolate yesterday at work.

Yes living in America does have its limitations. Enjoy your time in Europe cause it will never be the same here.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Idhrendur said...

Ah, but you haven't yet heard the best part...

5:31 PM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

My little Fire moonbeam, you will never believe it, but when I went to the LA County Museum of Art I ran into Elia's wife (the other artist we rented playa vista out to) and she so generously offered me two tickets to the upcomming Cezanne y Pissarro exhibit! so it seems that I will get to enjoy the artwork of your late lover!! I would save the ticket for you, but unfortunatly it ends in Jan. I am taking my father... the last time he saw Cezanne was when he toured Russia in the mid 80's. MY LOVE! I miss your voice so! I have so much to tell you I fear emotional constipation once I finally get to talk to you...
Just so you know, Bethany and I have been conspiring to start a *kiss kiss* based greeting. I'm sure you will have no issues with helping us with that once you return :D

..::kiss kiss SQUEEEZ::..
Many send their love-
(but not as much as I send!)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

I also spent a good amount of time observing this painting ;) of course, in honor of Mi Eleanor

http://www.lacma.org/art/perm_col/europe/M77_73a.jpg

9:50 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Ahh Cezanne!

3:18 PM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

What a tragic love story! One spanning a century of time, thousands of miles across the sea... it sounds like a classic novel.

It's a shame you didn't find your big yellow arrow, though. I mean, if you're searching a cemetery for your long lost (and long dead) lover, the least they could do is point the way.

AJ
<><

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home