Friday, December 02, 2005

Survival Guide to Living in France

What, a car? That's okay. Run!!!
Do not hesitate. If you see a car coming, cross the street anyway. Laure and I look like headless chickens trying to get to the other side. "Now?" I say. "Umm..." says Laure. A group of French people haul it across the street. "Now?" Laure says. "Umm..." I say. Another flock flies across. "Now!" I say and book it. I get stuck in the middle of the road. Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he's French!

Watch your weather.
The weather man is a celebrity in France. I hear he's married and has a couple of kids. When the weather comes on during dinner, all conversation stops, Odile grabs the remote and turns up the volume. "Le Metéo!" she exclaims. We see a few gray clouds hovering over Southern France. "Ahhhhh, ohhhhh, it's going to rain!" Sometimes, there's a fat yellow sun on top of Provence. This extracts the same dramatic sounds. "It's going to be a nice day tomorrow!" or "Ahhhhh, ohhhhh, it's going to be warmer tomorrow!" or "Ahhhhh, ohhhhhhh, it's going to be COLD tomorrow!" Who needs the movie theatre when you can watch the metéo?

4 Comments:

Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

at least the cars are smaller... so that way if you get hit you're more likely to take the car out! haha... perhaps the weather man is more popular in france because they actually get it right sometimes? (the terrible fate of being a weather man in the undecisive sunny california)

mwa! love you-

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You continue to amaze me with your delightful entries, and I am left in awe once more.

I am re-reading The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, and for some reason I think of you whenever Lucy is mentioned.
You are my Lucy; I wish I had as much faith and curiosity and ingenuity as you. You see Aslan when the rest of the world sees mountains...

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to the premiere of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe tonight. It's a fancy-dress event with red carpet and everything. I wasn't planning on dressing up much, but everyone convinced me to wear my prom dress. Haha. I'm excited, I hope the movie is done well.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

umm... eleanor as a Pevensie eh? for some reason i can only imagine her being one of Aslan's creatures... like a faun, or a tree nymph. with wild flowing hair, leaves and feathers intwined in her red hair.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home