Sunday, November 13, 2005

Reverse Culture Shock

I just got back from a Thanksgiving dinner! Yes, it's a little early, but that's beside the point. It was with people from the anglophone church here in Aix. We ate at a house in the French suburbs. French suburbs look like American suburbs. The husband and wife were from Texas. Another woman was from Nashville. In fact, I noticed all the English speakers talked with a slight twang. We ate turkey, cranberry sauce, garlic mashed potatoes--you know, your typical Thanksgiving meal. The food was so delicious and it felt good to have Thanksgiving even when away from home, but I went into a state of shock. Where am I? America?

However, there were some students there from Italy, Russia, Mexico, China, and Spain--just to reassure me that I hadn't been sent back to the US before my time. Many of them were assistants with a French highschool. I guess a lot of language majors go to their country of choice after college to become assistant teachers. I'll probably end up being a teacher, after all. Heh, I don't know about that, but it could happen. It's an option. It's nice to know people can do something with a language major.


One more thing...
Please, please, please, if you get the chance to see Joyeux Noël, go see it! I don't know if it's showing in the States...probably in smaller theatres. It's one of the best films I've seen in awhile. Plus, there are characters in it that speak French, English, and German. A feast for the ears and heart!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ELEANOR!!! I love you and miss your smile and beautiful red hair. You are my sunshine...by the way did I mention that I love you. I'm so happy that you were able to eat turkey and get your tummy all full and such not on that wonderful food. I'm praying for you dearest "big E".

9:03 PM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

you did have turkey! woot. ya know what we watched last night? office space in french! hahaaaaaaaaa!! yeah... and no subs :D i love you Eleanor- i have some sad news from today... but ill save it for the next phone call >:)<

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anglophone: An English-speaking person, especially one in a country where two or more languages are spoken. I knew this word but had to look it up. Somehow it sounds weirdo; but then you never hear it used in America.

Miss you pooches, P

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home