Monday, January 09, 2006

La Traviata

I've seen many a musical and now I've seen an opera. I think I'll sing everything I say for the rest of the week (in Italian). Every step I take will be loaded with meaning. I'll make gigantesque gestures and clutch the backs of chairs as I walk by them--as if the chairs themselves are able to support me. But I won't die. Although dying in someone's arms might be kind of cool.

Laura and I took the opportunity to dress up. She just happened to take two evening dresses with her to France. Jake did his best with a suitcase full of Canadian clothes.

Marseille is beautiful at night. You can't see the dirt. Even the smell of fish is beautiful.

And now let the week of exams commence! I miei exams cominciano! A plus tardi! Alora! Gatto! Gelato! Come si dice in italiano?! Andiamo!

[Eleanor clutches her heart and stables herself with the back of a nearby chair.]

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eleonore,

J'espere que l'opera t'a beaucoup plu. Quel etait l'intrigue? Est-ce que tu comptes etudier l'italien aussi? J'ai entendu qu'il y a un programme d'ete a CSUF en Italie ou on peut l'apprendre.

Je prierai que tu reussisses aux examens!

Alice

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O di pietosa...mistica spemme...l'alma che gemme...da questo suol...o di pietosa l'a-a-al-ma che gem-me...col divo incanto...dettergil pianto...del nostro duol...(from "La Speranza" (L'Esperance en francais).

12:59 PM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

I have to confess that despite being a music major, I've never seen an actual opera. Not live, anyway. I've seen clips of a video of some Mozart opera I forget (for my music history class), and then Rae and I watched Ingmar Bergman's version of "The Magic Flute" (or "Die Zauberflöte" for the multitudes of German readers of Eleanor's blog).

Good luck on all your exams! And make sure not to die before you get a chance to come back (not even in someone's arms)!

AJ
<><

5:26 PM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

we should live that dramatically... at least for one day... right after we spend a day where every move we make is a dance step ;) i love you mi eleanor!

oh... and as well as being in love with mr. darcy i think i am Elinor (from sense and sensibility)

Ive been staying at Ananga's apt. so i dont have to be at the studio! its been fun... one of her roommates is a crazy artist. i had the suspition that one of them was into witchcraft or something... and when emma left she said "heil satan, and may the force be with you"... so... yeah... weird thing is that im not creeped out or uncomfortable. but ill certianly be praying!

good luck on your exams!!

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home