Friday, December 23, 2005

The Grocery Store

I set my items on the moving strip. She moved them over the scanner. The price appeared on the screen.
"Crezk schlova schloova vltava," she said.
"Why, of course," I thought. I handed her 100 koruny. She gave me change and said, "Dyeh kova sova schmipps." I struggled to shove my groceries into a plastic bag and put my change into my purse. I was holding up the little line behind me. "Yah," she said as they say so well, smiling sideways.

Just when you've got one language under control, here comes another one to tease you.

3 Comments:

Blogger AJ Harbison said...

Perhaps you could add Czech to your list of languages to master, along with what else? Portuguese, Japanese, several African dialects... Maybe you could be like a UN Ambassador or something.

AJ
<><

11:01 PM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

i need eleanor.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Merry Christmas! I love you and miss you! i hope all is well, and that you are having a great Christmas! God Bless you my Friend!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home