Thursday, January 12, 2006

Franz Liszt was a rockstar

If you listen to the music of composer Franz Liszt, you'll find that it resembles the heavy metal of our time...so I hear. I hear that the ladies used to throw their shawls and kerchiefs on his piano as he played.

The girls (being Courtney, Ashlee, Lisa) and I went to a piano concert last night. I could see the reflection of the musician's face through the shiny black of the grand instrument. I liked the way he moved his eyebrows. And then he would whisper something.

There was a mosh pit afterwards, French style. They served wine and little pieces of bread with different kinds of spread. Food+French=Mosh pit! I learned that if you let yourself flow with the tide you'll eventually end up in front of the food table.

This was the first night I felt the travel stories flowing. In the past, it was: "Oh yeah, we went here and we saw that. It was beautiful."

But last night, it was:

So, one night, Courtney and I went to buy a hot dog at the Christmas market in Prague. The man started to make our order. A Czech song came over the loudspeakers. Every so often the singer would say, "Meow, meow" to the beat in a deep voice. The hot dog man sang along. But, the Czech people have such strong mannerisms. They seem so serious. I now have a permanent image of the hot dog man making our food with flare and saying, "Meow, meow," with an austere stare.

I forgot to mention that everytime Courtney ordered something at the market, they thought she ordered hot wine. Hot dog, babaccina placka, you name it. She got hot wine.

7 Comments:

Blogger Idhrendur said...

It's really too bad that the biggest memories I have of France are bad ones...

9:49 PM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

did you get hit in the back of the head with a biscotti? im sure it would leave a mark. sounds like AJ should take lessons from this guy :) Love you

ton sharpthing

2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great crunchy goodness! Eleanor! Does my Grandma have a Blog? I'm shock to say the least. Ahhh....I love you all!

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow this reminds me of your past in New Orleans and the shirt you wore that says...
"I got party trained at Mardi Gras".
Sounds as though there is something to that, mosh pit and all. Just remember not to double dip:)
LOL.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eleonore,

Peut-etre que l'homme qui t'a servi le hot-dog s'est transforme en chat! Hein? Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Si c'est vrai, alors, peut-etre qu'il etait Dinah deguise a la maniere d'un homme czech! Miaou!
J'adore les chats, pas toi?

Alice

4:12 PM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

Heck yeah Franz Liszt was a rock star. An egomaniac too. He certainly was a virtuoso pianist, but he actually created a lot of the performance customs that musicians still follow today. He was the first one who made a regular practice of memorizing the music he played rather than using music, so as to impress everyone with his memory (and generations of piano students have cursed him ever since).

He was also the first one who turned the piano sideways (up to his time, pianos normally pointed towards the audience), because he thought his profile was so striking that he wanted people to be able to see it while he played.

It's a good thing not all rock stars are so full of themselves as Liszt. ;)

AJ
<><

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eleanor...I'm really really starting to miss you. I'm mean lots. If you could amount feelings to weight, it would be tons and tons.
I love ya Big E

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home