Sunday, March 26, 2006

Is that SUNBURN on my arm?!!!

I went to a carnaval parade in Aix today. Nevermind that it's a month after the carnaval season. I like when big groups of people gather to celebrate culture. Drumming. Trumpets. Medieval costumes. Ball gowns. Dancers. Jugglers. Stilt-walkers. Ice cream. Iced tea. And Robin Hood. (Ethereal sigh).

What else? I'll be going to Le Roi Soleil on Friday. It's a musical/rock concert about the Sun King. Last semester Laura and I talked about making t-shirts that say "Louis XIV is my homeboy." It'll be my summer project.

I'm still "teaching" English to one of my Japanese friends. She knows much more English than I originally thought but we still get together to talk. Through this, I've realized that everyday English relies heavily on prepositions. Let's hang out. It's over there. Sit up straight. I'm in love. I'm reminded of 12th grade English and reading Beowulf. I could see that old English was composed of images. A ship might be a "wave rider," for example. I believe English is the language of images and French, well, is the languages of sounds. You want to know what turns me to puddy? It's whispered French.

7 Comments:

Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

I think i know that feeling :D heaven forbid a frenchmen whisper sweet nothings into your ear... you would be lost to us forever! why wait for summer to make suchh shirts? this brain child MUST be born in France, I will have it no other way! besides, it would be a great wear on the plane home shirt!

everyone has gone! faye and doug are in town, but probaby wont be here... I think im going to have a party for dozens of people i dont know... what to do what to do... its not like i have two years worth of laundry to do or anything! MWAHAHAHAAAaaaa.. ..tear..

I got to go to church today, and what a blessing! I have much to tell! (and of course to you ;) I started speaking of it to others and found it to be too personal... which was strange for me. but is also good :D thats what best friends are for! love you-

3:49 PM  
Blogger Darth_Harbison said...

Forgive my ignorance — when you say that English is "the language of images," do you mean the way we phrase things in English, or just the *trying and failing to avoid using the word* sounds of the words themselves conjuring up images?

4:44 PM  
Blogger Narisilme said...

Ignorance forgiven. :) Though I see I wasn't exactly clear...

In French, you use the verb "venir" to mean "come" and "REvenir" to mean "come back" or "come again." The prefix RE takes care of the meaning. Sure, we might use the word REturn but it isn't as common as "I'll come back tomorrow" or "Will you come back next year?" in everyday usage. I guess that's our way of *trying and failing to avoid using the word*. Or it could be just the way we phrase things. It's a different system of thinking.

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pooches,

Je ne comprend pas e je ne sais pas.

pa

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eleonore,

Je sais que tu as passe un bon par-tee au Carnaval. Je suis contente que tu continues a t'amuser bien. Cette semaine, j'ai passe mes vacances de printemps a l'Ile de Sainte-Catalina (environ 26 mi. de la Cote de Californie)ou je pensais a toi. J'ai aussi cru que j'avais rencontre un chien et un renard dans la nuit (je n'ai pas pu les voir, mais je sais qu'ils m'auraient dit "bonjour" pour toi). J'avais aussi peur de rencontrer de tels animaux, mais Jesus etait toujours avec moi.

A propos, il est probable que je passe mes etudes en Espagne cet ete.

A bientot!
Alice aux pays des animaux

6:42 PM  
Blogger Narisilme said...

Alice,
Oh! Je suis si contente de l'entendre! Et maintenant, tu vois, il est necessaire que tu m'enseigne l'espagnol. D'accord? Le français, ça ne suffit pas. :)
salut

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

L'espagnol est plus facile que le francais; c'est une langue bien plus phonetique!

Por ejemplo: estoy cierta que puedes pronunciar facilmente esta frase, aunque no puedas entenderla.

(Je suis certaine que tu peux prononcer cette phrase, bien que tu ne puisses pas la comprendre.)

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home