Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Let's take up space, you and I.

Now, I know that some of you have a hard enough time finding your stomach. Try finding your estomac, your genoux, or your...what, gasp, no!!!!...your bassin. And did you know you have talons? They do in France.

I had my first stretching class today at the university gym. The class was held in a giant room, complete with a rock climbing wall and ropes for aerial tricks. I pulled off my sweater, slipped off my sneakers, and walked in.
The sensation caught me by surprise. I could feel the size of the room, the air pressing in on me.

I had forgotten what it was like to take up space.


It's been a good two and a half years since taking a class of that sort or being in an empty room of such proportions. And IT FELT GOOD. I wanted to dance. I couldn't let that empty space just sit there, you know, lazy, cocky, and far too presumptuous. You can do things when dancing that you rarely get to do when walking or sitting at a desk. You can press your palm on the ceiling of the sky. You can plunge your fist into the magma of the earth.

It's the art of taking up space.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Dejean would be proud!!!Love,the Mama

8:40 AM  
Blogger Darth_Harbison said...

That was an awesome way to put it. I'll have to remember that.

On an unrelated note, do you happen to know Larry Borrero? 'Cause it sounds like the two of you would get along very well . . .

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A rock climbing wall and ropes for aerial tricks?! You must take me there. I'll practice my "art of hanging" and take up some space with you!
I'm flying to France Jan. 10, and I'll be arriving in Aix about a week later.
Can't wait to see you!

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our living room chandelier misses the dancing legs of beautiful Eleanor. Also the kitchen frig. misses being raided. Sorry we have no crepes. Uncle Chuck misses having you to tease. Well he has been gone cooking for people in Texas shelter. Now is home to cook for MEEEEE!!!

Auntie Jo

8:33 AM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

Eleanor, you would be robbing the world if you didn't do some sort of writing or poetry. Even if it's not a career, you've gotta do something.

I wish I was there--I'd love to take up space with you. Love ya sister!

AJ
<><

3:09 AM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

wow... i think you almost got aj to say it. ..::gawk::..

Eleanor my love, you inspire me :D you know... im taking tap in class right now ..::heh heh::.. although iv noticed i lack the pazaz that comes so naturally when dancing with you. must be all those unenlightened people. siiigh.

..::ball, heel, touch, heel, ball change, forward hitch, brush brush, ball, heal::..

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You should get AJ to take up some space, he needs to learn how to dance!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Idhrendur said...

Oh, I have a whole post on that. And the other interesting stuff that keeps happening...

It's just that it keeps happening, which prevents me from posting. Ironic, eh?

Oh, and I found a very good tool for finding my stomach (or my estomac even). Tapatio. Initially it helped me find my lips. And I remained aware of them for quite awhile. Then, a bit after it all seemed to be over, it helped me find my stomach. And i remained aware of my stomach well into the next day.

The lesson: when experimenting with new food-type things, don't do ones similar to other things you know...go for things completely out of your experience (aparently those are safer).

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home