Sunday, October 02, 2005

Of Mistrals and Mountains

I have certain memories of times when I felt God wooing me. For instance, I remember waking up one Saturday morning with the sun shining in my face, the large oak tree rustling outside, and a breeze sighing over my skin. I remember another time, very similar, reading Macbeth by an open window as the curtains swelled and exhaled. So, God must whisper in the wind.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have autumn. Today there was a Mistral. It's the name of the wind particular to this region. It actually felt like autumn as I remember it in New Orleans. Not that New Orleans really has seasons, but it does more so than Southern California. I was invited to eat lunch with a family after church and I believe I had my first "I must be in a movie" experience. We ate outside, even with the Mistral in full force. Several courses. Bread, fish, rice, vegetables, fruit, chocolate. I could look over the vines and see that mountain of whom I've become so fond. Mont Sainte-Victoire has become my friend.

Eléonore: Bonjour, Monsieur Le Mont. Vous allez bien?
Mont: Oooh, well hello there, My Lady. Yes, I'm doing quite well, thank you.
Eléonore: You don't mind the Mistral at all?
Mistral: No fair talking about me when I'm right here!
Eléonore: Oh, dear me, I'm sorry, Monsieur Le Mistral! I didn't see you coming!
Mistral: (yawning) This conversation is un peu chiant. In other words, boring. I must be off!
Mont: Oh, well. There he goes again, My Lady. He's not the most agreeable fellow, now is he?

Yesterday, Mont Sainte-Victoire and I spent a fabulous morning together. I went rock climbing with a group of French people. About 15 people went of all ages. Aside from my toes hurting (rock climbing shoes are not for comfort), I had the greatest time bonding with the people and bonding with my mountain.

I now have two new housemates--a girl from Pennsylvania and a guy from Canada. The Japanese are gone and I miss them. But, I'm hoping to build good friendships with the newcomers. I noticed the girl brought the book All Creatures Great and Small by James Harriot so I think we're going to get along splendidly (like the sugar substitute).

Eléonore: I guess it's time for us to go now.
Mont: Wishing you all a wonderful week.
Eléonore: And until the next time...
Mont: Let's kiss each other's cheek.


(The kissing practice is a great story in itself.)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My roommate is from Pennsylvania!

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(And, by the way, apostrophes are my favorite).

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Eleanor the poet now talking to the mountain instead of "the Biggies". Miss you so much .

Love,
Auntie Jo

4:25 PM  
Blogger Jason Rasmussen said...

At least they will keep you up on your English. I would hate for you to come back and only speak in French. You have such a gentle spirit, and I am glad you are living out one of your lifelong dreams. God created some amazing things didn't he?

11:31 PM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

dont listen to jason! no speaking in ENGLISH! i would imagine that would be tempting since its all yall's first language ;) OH eleanor! i have something so cool to share with you, its going to knock you of your mont! I got your letter THANKS! :D im loving the illustrations, we'll have to save them all (like i wasnt already :P) and make a little book of letter drawings! Kiss Kiss! >-------:D--------<

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Idhrendur said...

It's no accident that the Holy Spirit is often symbolized by the wind...

Cool stuff, my friend.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

wow you and Cezan have a lot in common!
I am so gald to hear what is new! What part of pennsylvania is your roommate from? Does she go to Penn State? Do you still talk to the Japaneese girls? How was church on sunday? and have you met that CCC girl yet? (sorry i forgot her name :( )
I know that is a lot of questions! but I wanna know!
Sweet heart i miss you! and love you! God bless your week!
Love, Jessica

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home