Thursday, September 15, 2005

Aiysh, why you so suah ku?

My classmate from Singapore did a presentation on his island/country/city today. It turns out that they speak English officially. (With a British accent, too!) There are other dialects and languages thrown into their common language, as well. It's a little difficult to explain but definitely one of the most fascinating languages I've heard yet. Imagine a rap with English, Chinese, Maou, and all their derivations and you've got "Singaporian." I told him he's got to teach me some other phrases. What's that now? My fourth language after taking up Japanese?

His presentation was in class after our 20 min break. During the break a friend and I discussed politics with Florian, the German student. Germany is in the middle of an election. Florian said he woke up from a dream this morning about who would be the next chancellor in Germany. Thus, I quote my friend: "Man, if only American students dreamed about elections!"

(Note: Florian said the name "Arnold Schwarzeneggar" in class yesterday. I just about jumped out of my seat because he pronounced it how it's supposed to be pronounced.)

It's amazing how my attitude towards politics has changed within the last month. I see that there are other ways to run a country. There are other ways to hold an election. And, for the first time in my life, I want to take in all the information I can. I went from only reading the comics to hiding the front page article under my homework in class, just to get a glimpse between exercises.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your a smart one Big E, I could yet tell that we're related.
I lovvvve youuuuuu!!!
Praying for ya...never forget that my dear.
little B

11:37 AM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

i bet, not only could he say it right... be he could say it at all! haha! eleanor, on my walk home today a flock of little birds few by and the whispy sound of their wings reminded me of you! (have you noticed ive gotten more poetic since you started bloging? ;)
I LOVE YOU! people are still asking how you are- they send their love!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here at Biola I met a guy who lived his whole life in Nigeria (he's white) and he's got the coolest accent. It's awesome how he slips into speaking [insert official language of Nigeria] every once in a while.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home