Saturday, September 10, 2005

And they called her "Painting, Wise, Flower"

So I have a Japanese name now. I think I'll get it tatooed on my shoulder. Last night, my fellow housemates and I spent a long time talking about the importance of names in Japan. I've really been impressing them, Jessica, with the phrases you taught me. It's come quite in handy. It's amazing how we communicate--usually in very broken French with a few English words and a couple of Japanese phrases thrown in here and there. But SOMEHOW it works.

Last night was the first night of my stay here where I haven't felt some twinge of loneliness. I think that's because I'm finally starting to connect with the people around me. Friendships are such a wonderful thing.

I've now made it through my first week of school in a foreign country. It starts at 8:30 every morning, Monday through Friday. Oh! Woe is me! Friday?! Since when do I have class on a Friday? And since when have I dared to take a class at 8:30? Ah, but I can tough it out for a year, don't you think? The classes have been quite an eye opener. I've got classmates in there from China, Japan, Singapore, Germany, Australia, Thailand, and the Caymon Islands. Sheesh. Who would have thought?

And, for those of you who don't know, my dad has a job now in Arlington, Texas! They still don't know when they can go back to New Orleans to pick up some of our belongings. Everything is still kind of up in the air. But, man, life sure does take a turn sometimes.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get that adware thing out of there....just another reminder that this site is hackable.Love,"you know what".

6:27 AM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

Oh yay! have you met any french in this adventure? :P CRAPPPP!!! i just realized that my phone is in the flippin car!!! AHHHHH ELEANOR!!!! freakin frick al;kjd;fklasjdflk. ..::tear::.. is there any other day other than sat morning? can i call you??? waaaaa!!!!!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Idhrendur said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Of course, for the first time in several days, I'm missing you. I guess that what happens when I catch up with old friends...I miss the ones who aren't here...

11:57 PM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

Hey Eleanor!
Great to hear that you're starting school; those 8:30 classes can be a beast, can't they? But hey, at least you don't have to get up at 5:30 to catch a frickin' train and ride for an hour just to get there, like somebody I once knew. ;)

Praise God for your dad's job! It's always awesome to see the manifold ways He protects and provides for His people.

Missing you! Train up and out sister!

Love,
Your brother
AJ
<><

2:02 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

wow! Praise God! We have been praying for you and your family! What an answer to prayer. I think we prayed for that! YAY! awesome! I am so glad for you sweetie. Your family and friends are continuously in our prayers!

You spoke Japanese! "Sigoy!" I am so proud! you have learned well young grasshopper! "hi so des!" "sososososo"

I love you and miss you! a lot!
love Jessica

1:45 AM  
Blogger Jason Rasmussen said...

That sounds like one crazy conversation. Soy sauce on my Crep please? I am so glad you are feeling more comfortable there. Everyone around you will finally get to know just how amazing you really are. Send more pictures! I love seeing them!

I saw a news clip yesterday about all the people relocating for new jobs. Happy, but sad too. I hope everyone else is doing well dispite the situation. Even though it does not matter in the eternal scheme of things, I hope your belongings back at home are safe, because it's our "stuff" that helps us rember good memories and relationships, which really matter. All the more reason to store your treasure up in heaven.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Jason Rasmussen said...

DON'T GET A TATOO!!! If you get one of those Japanese characters, it might mean "chicken fried rice" or something like that. Don't graffiti Eleanor...

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home